Monday, April 16, 2012

Tree Sale

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit" -D Elton Trueblood


There is a place called the "county extension service" where they know everything about the county in which you reside. Where I live it is supported by The Ohio State University. http://www.warren.osu.edu/. Anyway, they "combine the needs of the community" with the latest research in, uh, everything apparently.


I went there to get info about native plants and tips for southern Ohio gardeners. Since I'm trying to keep things green I'm looking for plants that require no pesticides and little water. I was assisted by a ruggedly handsome-and only slightly condescending-farmer type who gave me all sorts of info about organic gardening and how to encourage pollinators. And, it just so happened, they were about to have their annual Tree Sale (which is exactly what it sounds like)..did somebody say shopping?! I got a fabulous brochure full of full color images of majestic oak and maple trees and abundant wildflowers.


After some consideration I selected redbuds and dogwoods, both hardy, ornamental, low maintenance trees.and for just a few dollars you can order 2-3 year old saplings."Sweet!", I thought, "cheap trees to enhance my landscaping." Fast forward 2 weeks,  I go to pick them up- my 16 trees-and am handed a paper bag full of twigs. Apparently a 3 year old tree is not a very large tree. But Doug, Victor and I dilligently planted and mulched them (organic hardwood mulch in case you are wonderirng).  The Redbuds are in a shaded tree line, which they love. And the Dogwoods scattered throughout the yard, strategically near windows. We thoughtfully placed them and check every day,  hoping against hope. that one morning, like Jack's Beanstalk, they'll be 20 feet tall.


Thanks for reading! Please follow me on Blogger or Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment