Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I am not a hobbit, this is not the Shire

So anyone who knows me, knows that I am a...fan, let's say, of JRR Tolkien. I've read the Lord of the Rings a couple of times (seven) and first read The Hobbit when I was 8. And since I was 8 I've been preoccupied with Tolkien's descriptions of the Shire (the land where the hobbits live, for those who are uninitiated). Anyway, the Shire is a lush, idyllic, pastoral agrarian utopia, wherein food and blue skies are plentiful and the work load is light. At the center of the hobbit-verse is Bag End-the ancestral home of the Bagginses. Bag End, a truly unfortunate name for such a place, is described as a one level dwelling built into the side of a hill with windows across the front, multiple rooms and hallways, low ceilings and sloping walls. The front door is bright green and round with a brass knocker in the center. The gardens are a lush profusion of color and variety. Well since I was little I've thought that sounded like the perfect dwelling. Unfortunately I am not a hobbit, I am a tall, modern American, with tall modern American friends, and tall modern American needs. So, a compromise: I will have a riotous garden and a bright green front door, although sadly, it is not round

No comments:

Post a Comment