Thursday, November 22, 2012

Turkey Triumph!

So this year, for the first time ever, I made the Thanksgiving Day bird...all by myself. I'll admit to an extreme sense of panic when this duty fell to me, but, fortunately, my family is veerrrry laid back and knows better than to expect much.

I consulted multiple food gurus: Alton Brown, Ina Garten, my mother, and came up with an amalgamation of all their advice. We had our Thanksgiving earlier this week due to sheduling conflicts (another way to reduce stress and avoid grocery store crowds). According to my guests it was very successful.

Here are some of the things that I learned:
1. Get a smaller bird than you think you need. I got an 18 lb bird for 7 meat eaters and it was waaaay too much.
2.  Brining is unnecessary, trust me. I know it is all the rage, but it is a pain in the pin feathers and tends to make the meat very salty.
3. Don't stuff. Now I love stuffing, it's soggy deliciousness is a favorite, but stuffing takes longer to cook and then your turkey will dry out. Instead stuff the bird with citrus, herbs and onions. When the bird is done cooking, then remove those items and stuff with pre-cooked dressing. While the bird rests all the juices will moisten your stuffing.
4. Start out with the oven on 400-450 degrees for the first half hour. If the bird starts to over-brown cover it with aluminum foil. Then reduce heat to 325.
5. Don't baste. I know this too seems counterintuitive but every time you open the oven you are losing heat. The only thing basting does is crisp the skin anyway, that moisture does not penetrate through to the meat.
6. If you blow it and your bird is dry, burnt or undercooked...don't sweat it, everyone is there for the side dishes anyway. Turkey is just a perfunctory, meaningless tradition...like Easter Eggs or the Academy Awards.

Have a wonderful and relaxed holiday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment