Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tomato season

As is very apparent at this point, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, in general and, more specifically, when it comes to gardening. However, I got 5 tomato plants a couple months ago and planted them. They were nothing special, just run of the mill big box store plants, less than a foot high each. Not long after buying these plants I heard a "tomato expert"-if such a thing exists-on NPR talking about the secrets of tomatoes: why store bought hydroponics are flavorless mush, etc. He pointed out that the more these plants struggle the better the fruit. Isn't that a lovely metaphor for human existence? Aren't the people who have been through the most adversity always the most interesting? Anyway, my tomato plants have struggled greatly, partly due to my ignorance, but also because the soil was too rich, acidic and bug infested and southern Ohio is in a drought, yet they persevered and today I harvested the first one.
It was the best tomato I have ever eaten.


No comments:

Post a Comment